Smartphones and tablets can save the day of a traveler with help of different tools that will give well-rounded information where to go, what to do and what not to do. Here are some applications that will help you to plan and manage the trip, make the route and staying in the other country more comfortable and will navigate you through unfamiliar streets.
- Travel Booking: look through Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, and Travelocity to look for the tickets, hotels and a possibility to rent cars.
- Every airport has its own app – usually with help of this app you can check in, check the status of the flight and book tickets.
- Trackers: Kayak or FlightTrack will help you to be sure that your plane will be on time.
- Organizers: Try TripIt to store all information about your travel in one place.
Apps that will come in handy in the foreign lands:
- General Europe: this app has multiple interviews and audio tours of Europe’s top signs. Download the playlist of the desired state in advance and enjoy. Smart Traveler is an app created by US State Department and gives general information on each country in addition with numerous pieces f advice for travelers.
- Apps like London Tube, Paris Métro will give you a possibility to navigate through the public transportation of many European cities. DB Navigator gives information concerning German train timetables including connections with continental Europe and the Trainline will do the same for the UK trains.
- Restoraunts: TripAdvisor will give you access to thousands of reviews of restaurants, hotels, and sights in Europe. Or you can try European version of Yelp where all reviews are made by travelers.
- Currency: Oanda Currency Converter or Currency app will give you info concerning today’s exchange rates.
- Weather: use apps like the Weather Channel or AccuWeather to plan your day.
- Google Translate is a must. It has a voice input and you will receive immediate translation.
Most of map apps require connection to the Internet, though you can try iPhone’s OffMaps, for instance. Or you can download some maps in advance to your Google Maps and use them on offline mode.